Boxing

With Manny Pacquiao (59-7-2, 38 KOs) saying he doesn’t have time in his busy schedule to face WBO welterweight champion Jeff Horn (17-0-1, 11 KOs) in a rematch in November, Horn’s co-promoter Dean Lonergan is going to discuss with Pacquiao’s promoter’s at Top Rank the possibility of matching Horn against 42-year-old former 2-time super middleweight champion Anthony Mundine (47-8, 27 KOs).

Read more ...

Antonio Margarito (41-8, 27 Kos) kept his remote hopes for a third fight against Miguel Cotto alive with a 7th round technical decision win over journeyman Carson Jones (40-12-3, 30 KOs) on Saturday night in a scheduled 10 round fight at the Gimnasio Manuel Bernardo Aguirre, in Chihuahua, Mexico.

Margarito, 39, suffered a cut to his right eyelid in the 2nd round from a clash of heads and this eventually led the fight being stopped in round 7. The cut appeared to come from a punch, not a clash of heads, but referees sometimes make mistakes.

Read more ...

Andre Pederneiras says Jose Aldo wants to pursue a professional career in boxing.

Even before Conor McGregor was booked to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr., Jose Aldo expressed his desire to compete in the boxing ring.

"Yes, I think about having a career in boxing, but I want to start from the bottom, start from zero. I want to get ranked and one day fight for a belt,” Aldo said in an interview earlier in January.

Read more ...

Oscar De La Hoya says Saul Canelo Alvarez has something to prove to Gennady “GGG” Golovkin in their fight on September 16. Canelo (49-1-1, 34 KOs) wants to prove himself when he gets GGG inside the ring. Canelo has a chip on his shoulders about being perceived by the boxing public as ducking Golovkin for the last 2 years. There’s nothing that can change that perception obviously.

Read more ...

Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn feels sorry for Saul Canelo Alvarez and Gennady “GGG” Golovkin, because their important fight on September 16 was totally undercut by the Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Conor McGregor event that took place last Saturday night on August 26 on Showtime pay-per-view.

Hearn says that even this past week can’t count for the Canelo-GGG fight being properly hyped with the boxing fans due to all the fans still talking about the Mayweather-McGregor fight, breaking down the results and thinking about the match.

Read more ...

Former WBC heavyweight champion Bermane Stiverne (25-2-1, 21 KOs) is close to agreeing to step aside so that WBC champion Deontay Wilder (38-0, 37 KOs) can face #1 WBA Luis “King Kong” Ortiz (27-0, 23 KOs) on November 4 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. The Wilder-Ortiz fight will be televised on Showtime Championship Boxing.

Read more ...

Unbeaten IBF welterweight champion Errol “The Truth” Spence Jr. (22-0, 19 KOs) will be soon be back inside the ring to make his first defense of his IBF crown in either December or January, according to Dan Rafael.

There are 2 possible opponents in the running for Spence’s fight, and those are #5 IBF Luis Collazo (37-7, 20 KOs) and WBA World welterweight champion Lamont Peterson (35-3-1, 17 KOs). It goes without saying that the 33-year-old Peterson would be the ideal choice for Spence, due to him being a world champion rather than just a contender like Collazo. Spence would likely have more problems with the southpaw Collazo, as he’s a big puncher and he has a lot of talent.

Read more ...

Former middleweight world champion Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin (32-1-1, 23 KOs) will be returning to the ring next month on September 8 in a 10 round scheduled fight against an opponent still to be determined at 170 pound maximum limit at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada.

For Quillin’s sake, his management needs to be careful in the opponent they put in with him. He’s been out of the ring for so long in the last 3 years. He’s missed a considerable amount of time with 2 separate long periods of inactivity. You have to wonder whether Quillin still likes to fight.

Read more ...

Gennady “GGG” Golovkin is not sweating it about the huge amount of muscle weight his opponent Saul “Canelo” Alvarez has packed on for their fight in a little over 2 weeks on September 16 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) says all fighters have punching power, and they all have a strategy for their fights.

Read more ...

On September 16 at the T-Mobile Arena, in Las Vegas, Nevada, the undefeated middleweight Champion of the World Gennady “GGG” Golovkin will defend the WBC-WBA-IBF titles against former super welter and middleweight belt holder Saul Canelo Alvarez.

A fight that should have taken place more than two years ago will finally happen, there is no doubt that Canelo waited on GGG to slow down but Golovkin still has more than enough to beat a boxer used to fight against smaller or past prime foes.

Read more ...

Less than 2 weeks after becoming the unified IBF/WBA/WBC/WBO light welterweight champion with a 3rd round knockout over IBF 140 lb. champion Julius Indongo on August 19, Terence “Bud” Crawford (32-0, 23 KOs) has vacated his International Boxing Federation title.

Crawford, 29, didn’t have much of a choice, as the IBF had ordered a purse bid for this Thursday, August 31, for Crawford’s mandatory defense against #1 IBF challenger Sergey Lipinets. Rather than participate in the purse bid and wind up having to defend against the little-known contender Lipinets, Crawford vacated his IBF title.

Read more ...