#2 WBC Anthony Dirrell suffered an injury training for his scheduled title fight against David Benavidez (18-0, 17 KOs) for the vacant WBC super middleweight title on September 9 in Los Angeles, California. The World Boxing Council is planning on replacing the 32-year-old Dirrell (30-1-1, 24 KOs) with No.8 WBC Ronald Gavril (18-1, 14 KOs).
David Haye claims he is still the best heavyweight on the planet as he continues to chase the biggest names in the division.
British heavyweight David Haye (28-2 26 KOs) is in a strong position to get a world title shot for the World Boxing Association belt in 2017 if he keeps winning, and if the desire is there on his part to fight for that belt. Haye, 35, would be fighting the winner of the Lucas Browne vs. Fres Oquendo for the regular WBA title.
David Haye believes he’ll be one of the heavyweight world champions by 2017. Haye, 35, isn’t sure which of the current heavyweight world champions he’ll be defeating to become a champion. It’s going to be tough no matter which of the champions he faces because they all have a considerable size advantage over him.
Despite David Haye saying earlier on Tuesday that the deal was done for him to face former cruiserweight world champion Tony Bellew in a rematch, promoter Eddie Hearn says the deal for the fight still isn’t done yet. Hearn hopes to have the fighters sign a contract by next week so he can make an announcement.
Bellew (29-2-1, 19 KOs) beat Haye by an 11th round knockout on March 4 in London, England. Haye suffered a bad Achilles tendon tear in round 6, and he was too injured to put up much of a fight. The match should have been stopped due to the injury. It’s hard not to imagine a ringside doctor not stopping the contest if it had taken place in the U.S.
It looks like the much talked about fight between former IBF middleweight champion David Lemieux and Curtis Stevens won’t be taking place on October 22 on HBO as boxing fans had hoped. The negotiations between the two fighters have hit a stall, and it appears that the fight won’t be salvaged with help from HBO.
#3 WBC David Lemieux (36-3, 32 KOs) weighed in at 159 pounds on Friday for his 12 round middleweight fight against #2 WBC Curtis Stevens (29-5, 21 KOs) for their fight this Saturday night at the Events Center at Turning Stone Resort & Casino. Stevens weighed in at 158.25 pounds. HBO Boxing After Dark [BAD] will be televising the Lemieiux-Stevens fight on their network.
Oscar De La Hoya likes Saul Canelo Alvarez’s chances of handling Gennady “GGG” Golovkin’s power to go on and defeat him this weekend in the battle between the 2 best fighters in the 160 pound division.
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya says he’s very surprised that IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin is the favorite to beat his fighter Saul Canelo Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs) in their fight on September 16 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
De La Hoya says there are now a high number of people saying that Canelo will not only beat Golovkin, but he’ll knock him out in the process. De La Hoya’s belief in Canelo stems from the head and torso movement he used to evade punches thrown at him. De La Hoya says Canelo has the better boxing skills compared to Golovkin, and the superior experience during his career.
Oscar De La Hoya says Saul Canelo Alvarez has something to prove to Gennady “GGG” Golovkin in their fight on September 16. Canelo (49-1-1, 34 KOs) wants to prove himself when he gets GGG inside the ring. Canelo has a chip on his shoulders about being perceived by the boxing public as ducking Golovkin for the last 2 years. There’s nothing that can change that perception obviously.
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya said today that his fighter Saul “Canelo” Alvarez is still a 154lb fighter, and that he’s not going to fight unbeaten Gennady “GGG” Golovkin until his body tells him it’s ready to go up to 160lbs to take that fight. This is the same thing De La Hoya has been saying for months now.
Oscar De La Hoya is already predicting that his fighter Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs) will be knocking out middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) in their fight in 3 months on September 16 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. This is very ambitious of De La Hoya to pick Canelo by a knockout.
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya says he made the Saul “Canelo” Alvarez vs. Gennady “GGG” Golovkin fight because he cares about the boxing fans and he wanted to help the sport. De La Hoya maintains that he could have made 4 smaller fights for Canelo without risk, but he wanted to give the fans what they’ve been asking for.
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya thinks it’s a mistake for 2012 U.S Olympian Errol Spence Jr. (21-0, 18 KOs) to be going to Europe to fight for the IBF welterweight title against Kell Brook. De La Hoya says that Spence’s career isn’t being moved a long like it should be for a fighter with his kind of talent. He says that if Spence was one of his fighters in his Golden Boy stable, he would turn him into a star. He would have Spence fighting on the undercard of the Saul “Canelo” Alvarez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. card on May 6.
Oscar De La Hoya is still railing on the Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Conor McGregor fight being bad for the sport of boxing in general. De La Hoya sounded off on the subject last week when he tore into the Mayweather-McGregor fight in seeing it as little more than just a money grab due to Mayweather facing a novice in boxing. McGregor has never fought in a boxing ring, and he’ll be going into the Mayweather fight with no experience in the sport.
This Saturday night, Demetrius ‘Boo Boo’ Andrade (23-0) travels to Germany to challenge Jack Culcay (22-1), for the WBA world super-welterweight championship, live on Sky Sports 2HD in the UK. The former undefeated WBO champion, at the same weight, looks to regain some momentum in his career after fighting only three times since winning that belt in November 2013. Last week Demetrius took some time to talk with me over the phone about Saturday’s fight and what happened after he became world champion when he was forced to relinquish the gold.
Tony Bellew’s win over David Haye last Saturday night makes him an option for WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder’s next title defense. Wilder’s promoter Lou Dibella says that they would consider fighting Bellew. WBO heavyweight champion Joseph Parker is the fight that Wilder and Dibella really want most of all.
That would be a unification fight. Bellew would be another voluntary defense for Wilder, who has already have 5 of them since winning the WBC title two years ago in 2015. If the World Boxing Council lets Wilder take a 6th consecutive voluntary defense, then Bellew (29-2, 19 KOs) would be a possibility.
WBC heavyweight champion Deontay “Bronze Bomber” Wilder (37-0, 36 KOs) doesn’t think too much of IBO/WBA/WBC champion Tyson Fury (25-0, 18 KOs) after learning of the British heavyweight pulling out of his rematch with Wladimir Klitschko last Friday for the second time. Wilder, 6’7” says that Fury lacks discipline for the sport, and he sees the 28-year-old as a sad sight to behold.
Deontay Wilder didn't knock Chris Arreola out, but he did beat him badly enough that Arreola's corner stopped the fight.
Deontay Wilder remained undefeated and kept his WBC heavyweight title tonight, stopping Chris Arreola after eight rounds in front of an announced 11,974 fans in Birmingham, Alabama, live on FOX.
A fight between WBC heavyweight champion Deontay “Bronze Bomber” Wilder and undefeated contender Luis “King Kong” Ortiz is in the works for the fall on Showtime Championship Boxing, according to RingTV.com. However, #1 WBC Bermane Stiverne is Deontay’s mandatory at this time.
Page 9 of 32