The 38th Penang Open International Juniors Tennis Championships, held from November 29 to December 3, showcased a remarkable display of skill, determination, and sportsmanship by numerous talents from all over the globe. Athletes from various nations competed fiercely, but it was the Unified Tennis Philippines (UTP) National Team that left an indelible mark on the tournament.
Singles: Champions and Runner-Ups
The singles category witnessed outstanding performances, with Filipino athletes claiming championship titles across multiple age groups.
· Kenzo Brodeth - 14U Boys
· Kendrick Bona - 16U Boys
· Mateo Rivas - 18U Boys
· Jana Jelena Diaz - 14U Girls
· Maria Hannah Divinagracia - 16U Girls
· Kaye Ann Emana - 18U Girls
· Ma. Caroliean Fiel - 10U Girls
· Jayden Reece Ballado - 14U Girls
· Kimi Brodeth - 16U Girls
· Mica Ella Emana - 18U Girls
Doubles: Champions and Runners-Up
The doubles category witnessed the dynamic pairing of Filipino talents, both securing championship titles and earning runner-up places.
· Lexious Cruz/Kenzo Brodeth - 14U Boys
· Kendrick Bona/Mcleen Gomera - 16U Boys
· Maristella Torrecampo/Ong Zi Zuan - 12U Girls
· Jayden Reece Ballado/Jana Jelena Diaz - 14U Girls
· Maria Hannah Divinagracia/Kimi Brodeth - 16U Girls
· Kaye Ann Emana/Mica Ella Emana - 18U Girls
· Alexandre Coyiuto/Armik Serillo - 12U Boys
· Mateo Rivas/Vice Serna - 18U Boys
Cebuana Lhuillier and Unified Tennis Philippines President Jean Henri Lhuillier expressed extreme pride and inspiration following the outstanding performances of Filipino athletes at the Penang Open. In a heartfelt message, he commended their dedication, highlighting the numerous victories that brought glory to the athletes as well as the Filipino people.
“Like all roads, our athletes faced numerous bumps and hitches along the way. However, it was with their sheer effort, skill, and will that they were able to overcome these adversities and raise the Philippine flag on the international stage. Not to mention that in most of the categories, our athletes were either champions or runners-up. This has been a testament to the Filipino talent we aim to cultivate, and I am excited to see what our young stars will bring in the future. Congratulations, everyone!”-Marlon Bernardino-