Tennis

Given his penchant for technical-foul-drawing histrionics and opponent-wrecking defensive detonations, “stability” might not be the first word that comes to mind when you think about Draymond Green. That’s what the All-Star forward opted for this weekend, though, agreeing to terms on a new four-year, maximum-salaried contract extension that answers the Warriors’ biggest extant question 11 months early—and, in the process, heaps even more doubt on how teams facing their own roster-building dilemmas in the summer of 2020 might try to address them.

Golden State now has its four most important pieces—Green, Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, and new arrival D’Angelo Russell—under contract for at least three seasons, affording the Warriors a bit more continuity than would-be title contenders tend to get these days. Green secures a $99.7 million bag, ensuring a superstar’s salary and status with the franchise he helped build into a dynasty; he also reportedly got a player option for the final season, allowing him to hit the market in 2023 if he’d like. It’s a good bit of business for both sides. But while the re-up seems like a win-win for Draymond and the Dubs, it’s another L for the free-agent class of 2020, and for teams that might hope to find a difference-maker in it.

Read more ...

Back for more! Ariana Grande and her rumored new beau, Mikey Foster, enjoyed another night out in Chicago on Monday, August 5.

The “Boyfriend” collaborators returned to Siena Tavern for the second consecutive night, and they were joined by a group of friends as well as the Grammy winner’s mom, Joan.

“Ariana and Mikey were holding hands at one point while they were there,” a source tells Us Weekly exclusively, noting that the duo “arrived separately.”

Twenty-four hours earlier, Grande, Foster and more than a dozen other people stopped by the Italian restaurant after the 26-year-old pop star’s headlining set at the Lollapalooza music festival. Grande and the Social House member sat “next to each other during dinner” at a surprise party for one of her bodyguards, according to an eyewitness.

Read more ...

It's been a tough month for Netflix fans, with news emerging that much-loved shows including Friends and the American version of The Office are being taken off the platform.

It was revealed on July 9 that Netflix US will be losing Friends when its rights holder WarnerMedia launches its streaming service HBO Max next year.

The huge loss came only a few weeks after the company also announced that NBCUniversal would be gaining the rights to The Office.

But according to Nielsen, these programmes were Netflix's most-watched in 2018, in terms of minutes spent viewing.

So why did Netflix make the decision to pull the plug?

To leave more money for original content

Shows such as Friends and The Office are expensive – Netflix paid $100 million to stream Friends and was willing to splash up to $90 million to keep the the rights for The Office. Therefore, it'll save a whole lot of money on licensing fees once they're gone.

In a statement released last month, Netflix said: "Much of our domestic, and eventually global, Disney catalogue, as well as FriendsThe Office, and some other licensed content will wind down over the coming years, freeing up budget for more original content."

By extension, this means Netflix can focus on exclusive content only available on its platform – helping it to compete against other services. With Disney+ and others incoming, this is vital.

The buzz it creates

When you think about it, the headlines surrounding Netflix's cull have actually given the service a fair bit of publicity.

And according to Vanity Fair, several experts reckon the furore might eventually amount to "a lot of noise".

Rich Greenfield – a media analyst for research firm BTIG – told the publication: "Netflix is the new cure for boredom at home – if The Office isn't available you'll watch something else."

Read more ...

Is Leonardo DiCaprio Hollywood’s last movie star? That was the thrust of a recent Hollywood Reporter feature, suggesting he stands alone as an actor whose name is a hallmark of a movie’s quality in itself, who rarely has a flop, and who doesn’t put himself about too much – Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood is his first movie since 2015’s The Revenant. “He is arguably the only global superstar left in a film industry in which an interchangeable group of actors regularly suit up in spandex or brandish a lightsaber for the latest billion-dollar earner,” the magazine argues, comparing DiCaprio’s pre-eminence with would-be peers such as Will SmithJennifer Lawrence and Robert Downey Jr

Is there any rival to DiCaprio still standing in the movie-star stakes? Possibly one: his Once Upon a Time … co-star Brad Pitt. Pitt’s back catalogue might be patchier (recent flops such as Allied and War Machine might have passed you by completely), and his love life gossipier, but like DiCaprio, he broke out as a teen heartthrob in the late 90s, then successfully transitioned into serious-actor status. Between them they have worked with the best in the business: Scorsese, Malick, Fincher, Spielberg, Iñárritu (both) and, of course, Tarantino – Pitt in Inglourious Basterds, DiCaprio in Django Unchained.

Read more ...

GM Balinas chess tourney at Alphaland
 
by Marlon Bernardino
 
Top chess players in the region will be vying for the qualifying round of the Grandmaster Rosendo Balinas Jr. Memorial Chess Tournament on August 17 at the Activity Hall, Second Floor Alphaland Makati Place in Malugay Street, Makati City.
 
The tournament will be played in a 7-round Swiss System format, 20 minutes plus five seconds delay mode with the Titled/Master winner taking home P7,000, second place P5,000, third place P3,000, fourth place P2,000 and fifth place P1,000.
 
The untitled or non-master champion meanwhile, will bag P5,000 while the runner-up will settle for P4,000 and the next three players will go home with P3,000, P2,000 and P1,000. 
 
Special prizes the top Senior, Executive Lady, College, High School and Elementary will also likewise to receive P1,000 each.
 
According to NCFP director lawyer Cliburn Anthony Orbe, the grand finals will be held at the Manila East Golf and Country Club on September 3 to 10.
 
Chito Garma, Paulo Bersamina, John Marvin Miciano, Ricardo de Guzman, Haridas Pacua, Oliver Dimakiling, Ronald Bancod, Daniel Quizon and Roel Abelgas will lead International Masters cast added engineer Antonio "Tony" Carreon Balinas, brother of the late Grandmaster Rosendo Balinas Jr. 
 
Others are Fide Masters Nelson "Elo" Mariano III, Christopher Castellano, Nelson Villanueva, Sander Severino,Mari Joseph Turqueza and Narquinden Reyes.
 
Also set to fight for their place are Woman International Masters Mikee Suede, Bernadette Galas, Shaina Mendoza, Jodilyn Fronda, Marie Antoinette San Diego, Beverly Mendoza, Kylen Joy, Mordido and Catherine Secopito.
 
Also playing are Woman Fide Masters Antonella Berthe Racasa, Alllaney Jia Doroy and Michelle Yaon.
 
Registration for the NCFP-sanctioned event is P500 while on-site registration is P700. 
 
Call or text the following persons for complete details, engr. Antonio "Tony" Carreon Balinas (09177882967) , Atty. Cliburn Anthony Orbe (09188974410), Dr. Jenny Mayor (09351004755) and Dr. Alfred Paez (09212728172).
-Marlon Bernardino-