Boxing

British promoter Eddie Hearn has added former heavyweight world title challenger Dereck Chisora (26-7, 18 KOs) to his Matchroom Sport stable. This is a predictable move on Hearn’s part, as it gives him another recognizable heavyweight to eventually match against his fighter IBF/WBA champion Anthony Joshua in the near future in a year or two.

Hearn also has in mind putting Chisora back in with Dillian Whyte, who he also promotes. With adding Chisora to his stable, Hearn will have his hands on the gear shift for the Chisora-Whyte rematch without him needing to work with another outside promoter.

Read more ...

DASMARINAS SET FOR HIS BIG FIGHT IN SINGAPORE ON OCTOBER 20 FOR ‘THE ROAR OF SINGAPORE III - THE CHOSEN WAN’

MANILA, PHILIPPINES, 19 September 2017 – RingStar Boxing, a Singapore-based sports management and boxing promotions outfit, has just signed Filipino boxer Michael “Hot & Spicy” Dasmarinas. 

The 25-year old Dasmarinas is a native of Camarinas Sur, and has a current record of 25-2, with 16 of the 27 wins won via KO. 

Read more ...

Despite David Haye saying earlier on Tuesday that the deal was done for him to face former cruiserweight world champion Tony Bellew in a rematch, promoter Eddie Hearn says the deal for the fight still isn’t done yet. Hearn hopes to have the fighters sign a contract by next week so he can make an announcement.

Bellew (29-2-1, 19 KOs) beat Haye by an 11th round knockout on March 4 in London, England. Haye suffered a bad Achilles tendon tear in round 6, and he was too injured to put up much of a fight. The match should have been stopped due to the injury. It’s hard not to imagine a ringside doctor not stopping the contest if it had taken place in the U.S.

Read more ...

WBC heavyweight champion Deontay “Bronze Bomber” Wilder (38-0, 37 KOs) will be looking to make a statement against Cuban Luis “King Kong” Ortiz (27-0, 23 KOs) on November 4 to send a message to IBF/WBA heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua (19-0, 19 KOs0 that he’s for real, and that he’s coming for him in the near future.

Wilder and Ortiz will be battling on Showtime Championship Boxing on November 4 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. This is a make or break fight for Wilder. He’s seen as a paper champion by a large segment of the boxing community. This is Wilder’s chance to show that he’s a real champion.

Read more ...

Negotiations have already begun for an immediate rematch between middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin and Saul “Canelo Alvarez for next May in 2018, according to ESPN. If an agreement can get made, then both fighters would stay out of the ring for the remainder of the year until they fight each other next May on HBO pay-per-view.

Canelo, 27, will be exercising the rematch clause in his contract with Golovkin. Canelo and Golden Boy Promotions have 3 weeks to exercise the rematch clause, but they’re already starting negotiations with Golovkin’s promoter Tom Loeffler, according to Dan Rafael.

Read more ...

 IBF/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin was very upset at the post-fight press conference last Saturday night about his fight with Saul “Canelo” Alvarez being scored a 12-round draw by the judges appointed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

Golovkin thought he won a clear decision by 9 rounds to 3 or 8 rounds to 4. The most Golovkin could give Canelo was 4 rounds, as he felt he ran too much and was getting hit with jabs all night. Indeed, Canelo couldn’t stop Golovkin’s jabs from landing, and he was unable to stand and fight “Mexican style” the way that Golovkin was hoping he’d do. Golovkin said Canelo told him that he’s a real Mexican, but he didn’t fight with the Mexican style.

Read more ...

Gennady “GGG” Golovkin’s promoter Tom Loeffler is hoping that Golden Boy Promotions doesn’t make Triple G wait for a long time before they execute the rematch against Saul “Canelo” Alvarez. Golovkin and Canelo fought to a 12 round draw last Saturday night in front of a large crowd at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

While some fans saw the fight as a close one, the better portion of the boxing public saw Golovkin winning the fight 8 rounds to 4.

Read more ...

A bloodied Milan Melindo did not have an easy night in making his first defense of the IBF junior flyweight title.

He was able to secure a twelve round split decision win over former world champion Hekkie Budler of South Africa in the main event of "Pinoy Pride 42" at Waterfront Hotel and Casino in Cebu Saturday. Both fighters worked hard in each round, with Melindo giving it his all to edge out a lot of the close moments.

Read more ...