Boxing

Bob Arum started at the top, and he’s still here. A one-time practicing attorney who worked in the tax division for the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York, Arum promoted his first card on March 29, 1966. Muhammad Ali defended his heavyweight world title at Toronto’s Maple Leaf Gardens against Canadian challenger George Chuvalo and won a 15-round unanimous decision.

Read more ...

It’s fair to say, it was never going to be an easy job selling a third fight between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder. Now, with the contracted three-match postponed until at least October (according to promoting duo Bob Arum and Frank Warren), this due to you know what, it’s entirely possible those fans who did have an urge to see whether or not Wilder could possibly come back with a vengeance will have lost interest by then. Wilder, who was so comprehensively hammered in the second fight last month, is being given virtually no shot against Fury the next time around.

Read more ...

Due to the publication of a number of misleading and misrepresentative statements and articles made by third parties relating to Tyson Fury, the following statement is made jointly by MTK Global, Top Rank and Queensberry Promotions.

Tyson Fury is the globally recognized No. 1 Heavyweight in the world and the current Lineal, WBC and Ring Magazine champion. Tyson is contracted to a third fight with former WBC world champion Deontay Wilder.

Read more ...

Eddie Hearn has ruled out staging IBF/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua’s title defense against IBF mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev behind closed doors in order to guarantee the fight happens in 2020.

With the coronavirus potentially making it impossible to stage any fights involving large crowds for the remainder of the year, moving the Joshua-Pulev fight behind closed doors inside of a studio is an option that would seem to make sense. Hearn isn’t willing to entertain that idea. He says he’s ready to sit and wait until the fights involving large crowds can take place.

Read more ...

Matchroom has canceled their April 17 show headlined by the Regis Prograis vs. Maurice Hooker fight at the MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill, Maryland. This is a response to the COVID 19 pandemic. The promotional company is looking at alternative options, including switching the date and possibly moving the fight if need be.

Read more ...

Tyson Fury To Be Investigated By UKAD After Farmer Alleges He Was Offered Money To Lie Back In 2015

Fight fans may have read how, over the weekend, a story appeared in a UK tabloid in which a UK farmer has alleged he was offered the sum of £25,000 to lie about providing Tyson and Hughie Fury with the boar meat the two ate back in 2015. The two fighters later tested positive for nandrolone (in February of 2015), they claim as a result of digesting the meat. The farmer, who says he never received the £25,000, alleges he was told to make the story up, that he never in fact gave the Furys the boar meat.

Read more ...

NEW YORK (March 12, 2020) — Due to the coronavirus pandemic, and to ensure the health and safety of boxing fans and the fight participants, Top Rank announced today that the March 14 and March 17 events at Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden will proceed without spectators. The only individuals granted access to the events will be essential production and support staff, in addition to fighters and necessary team members, and credentialed media. Both events will still be shown live on their respective ESPN platforms.

Read more ...

Former world heavyweight title challenger Artur Szpilka fought over the weekend and his decision victory over Sergey Radchenko has caused an outrage in his home country of Poland. Szpilka, now fighting down at cruiserweight, was awarded a ten round majority decision over Radchenko, winning via scores of 95-93 twice and a third judge having it all-even at 94-94.

Read more ...