Boxing

Former welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather said Wednesday he was "interested" in a fight with Conor McGregor and had already offered the mixed martial arts star $15 million to climb into the ring with him.

Mayweather, who retired in 2015 with a perfect 49-0 record, told ESPN's First Take program that a McGregor bout was the only thing that could tempt him to end his exile from the ring.

The 39-year-old was responding to a question about whether he would consider a rematch with Filipino star Manny Pacquiao following the duo's much-heralded "Fight of the Century" two years ago.

Read more ...

Strap in for April 23, fight fans.

The biggest boxing fight in Australia's history has been confirmed, with Aussie boxer Jeff Horn set to fight Filipino and reigning champion Manny Pacquiao in April.

The announcement was made at 2:30pm (AEDT) in Brisbane on Wednesday, with the fight set to be held on April 23.

The location is yet to be confirmed, but organisers are hopeful the fight will occur at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane -- calling for the Queensland Government's support. However, they do not secure funds and support in Brisbane the organisers will turn to other capital cities, and haven't ruled out the U.S. or the Middle East.

Read more ...

Andre Ward (31-0, 15 KOs) is now in the hot seat with his close/controversial 12 round unanimous decision win over former IBF/WBA/WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev (30-1-1, 26 KOs) on November 19 last year Not only is Kovalev gunning for Ward’s titles in a badly wanted rematch, but also unbeaten #2 IBF Artur Beterbiev (11-0, 11 KOs), who will be facing the winner of the Ward-Kovalev 2 fight unless the winner chooses to vacate the IBF belt.

Read more ...

The heavyweight division is not stacked right now, certainly not as thick with talent as some of the lighter weight classes. Alexander Povetkin’s potential matchup with Deontay “the Bronze Bomber” Wilder was scratched due to a failed drug test; Tyson Fury’s rematch with Wladimir Klitschko was also cancelled for a failed drug test (among other issues). The first match between Fury and Klitschko, while an upset in Fury’s favor, wasn’t much to write home about. Despite these drawbacks though, there is still enough going on in the division to excite the diehard fan.

Read more ...

A bizarre scene played out on the undercard of one of Japan’s year-end boxing cards in Tokyo.

Ryota Murata (12-0, 9 knockouts), the 2012 Olympic middleweight gold medalist from Nara, Japan, found the target on Mexico City’s Bruno Sandoval (19-2-1, 15 KOs) in the third round with a shotgun right hand that stunned him before a right hand behind the ear sent him flat on his back with his eyes wide open.

Read more ...

After six years of facing largely soft opposition, Daniel Jacobs (32-1, 29 KOs) has been ordered by the World Boxing Association to face IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (36-0, 33 KOs).

The two fighters’ management has negotiated the fight, and it’s now signed, sealed and delivered for March 18 at Madison Square Garden in New York. Jacobs is going to crumble early in this fight in the first two rounds if he gets hit with anything from Golovkin in my opinion.

Read more ...

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. has received a reported $6 million offer from Golden Boy Promotions for him to fight Saul Canelo Alvarez on May 6 for a catchweight fight at 165 pounds on Cinco de Mayo.

It’s now up to the 30-year-old Chavez Jr. whether to accept the offer or not. He has only until next week to agree to it or get out of the way so that Canelo (48-1-1, 34 KOs) can challenge WBO middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders (24-0, 12 KOs) on May 6 instead. Chavez Jr. has turned down huge fight offers in the past, so it’s possible he could turn down this one too.

Read more ...

Gennady “GGG” Golovkin’s trainer Abel Sanchez doesn’t think there is anyone in the middleweight division that can beat Golovkin right now and that includes WBA ‘regular 160lb champion Daniel Jacobs. Sanchez rates Jacobs as a good fighter, who only has one loss on his resume from his defeat to Dmitry Pirog six years ago. But he doesn’t see the 29-year-old Jacobs as being able to go the distance with Golovkin when the two fighters face each other on March 18 on HBO PPV at Madison Square Garden in New York.

Read more ...

The new WBA Featherweight World Championship boxer Abner Mares, impressive upset with 12-round split decision over defending champion Jesus Cuellar (28-2, 21 KOs) in Los Angeles this past Saturday. 

Post-fight both Mares and Garcia reflect on the past year and what is ahead in 2017.

Read more ...

Unbeaten WBA/WBO light welterweight champion Terence “Bud” Crawford (30-0, 21 KOs) held onto his titles in stopping #1 WBA, #2 WBC, #2 WBO challenger John Molina Jr. (29-7, 23 KOs) in the 8th round on Saturday night in front of a large crowd of Crawford fans at the CenturyLink Arena in Omaha, Nebraska. Crawford ran around the ring most of the fight, jabbing, holding, jabbing and pot shotting the very slow 33-year-old Molina Jr.

In the 8th, Crawford suddenly stopped moving and threw a flurry of shots that hurt Molina Jr. Crawford then finished Molina off with three right hands to the head and right to the body. The referee Mark Nelson then halted the fight. The official time of the stoppage was at 2:32 of the 8th.

Read more ...

John Molina Jr. (29-6, 23 KOs) has his work cut out for him this Saturday night when he challenges undefeated WBC/WBO light welterweight champion Terence “Bud” Crawford (29-0, 20 KOs) for his two titles plus his Ring title on HBO Championship Boxing on December 10 at the CenturyLink Arena in Omaha, Nebraska.

This is going to be a tough match for the 33-year-old Molina Jr., because he’s had a lot of bad luck inside the ring in the last four years in losing five out of his last ten fights. It’s unknown why the sanctioning bodies are still ranking Molina Jr. so highly given all of his many defeats. 

Read more ...

Sergio Mora says WBA ‘regular” 160lb champion Danny Jacobs has the punching power to hurt IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin if he can get to his chin in the first three rounds. Mora believes that Jacobs has the better overall punching power than Golovkin. However, he feels that Golovkin has the better technique, which will kick in after the 3rd round if he’s still in the fight.

Mora sees Jacobs as having a suspect chin that Golovkin could take advantage of if he can get him past the third round. 

Read more ...