Former Gilas Pilipinas Youth stalwart Bismarck Lina is working on his transfer to University of...
Team Liyab defeated Sunsparks, 2-1 to wound up third overall in the League of Legends: Wild Rift...
Ex UST cagers Mark Nonoy & Deo Cuajao formally committed to La Salle in meeting with DLSU team...
A grandson of Senator Francis “Kiko” Pangilinan is suffering from severe depression now after news of...
The rematch between WBO super featherweight champion Vasyl Lomachenko (8-1, 6 KOs) and former two...
UFC women’s featherweight champion Cris Cyborg led the disclosed payroll at UFC 219, earning...
Nine-time Olympic gold medalist Carl Lewis said on Monday that female athletes deserve fair and equal pay and criticized Donald Trump for being “racist” and “misogynistic.”
Lewis spoke in the Peruvian capital of Lima, where he will present the 100m and long jump medals at the Pan American Games. He also said that he became an athlete thanks to his mother, who competed in the first Pan Am Games in Buenos Aires in 1951.
Given his penchant for technical-foul-drawing histrionics and opponent-wrecking defensive detonations, “stability” might not be the first word that comes to mind when you think about Draymond Green. That’s what the All-Star forward opted for this weekend, though, agreeing to terms on a new four-year, maximum-salaried contract extension that answers the Warriors’ biggest extant question 11 months early—and, in the process, heaps even more doubt on how teams facing their own roster-building dilemmas in the summer of 2020 might try to address them.
Golden State now has its four most important pieces—Green, Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, and new arrival D’Angelo Russell—under contract for at least three seasons, affording the Warriors a bit more continuity than would-be title contenders tend to get these days. Green secures a $99.7 million bag, ensuring a superstar’s salary and status with the franchise he helped build into a dynasty; he also reportedly got a player option for the final season, allowing him to hit the market in 2023 if he’d like. It’s a good bit of business for both sides. But while the re-up seems like a win-win for Draymond and the Dubs, it’s another L for the free-agent class of 2020, and for teams that might hope to find a difference-maker in it.
Back for more! Ariana Grande and her rumored new beau, Mikey Foster, enjoyed another night out in Chicago on Monday, August 5.
The “Boyfriend” collaborators returned to Siena Tavern for the second consecutive night, and they were joined by a group of friends as well as the Grammy winner’s mom, Joan.
“Ariana and Mikey were holding hands at one point while they were there,” a source tells Us Weekly exclusively, noting that the duo “arrived separately.”
Twenty-four hours earlier, Grande, Foster and more than a dozen other people stopped by the Italian restaurant after the 26-year-old pop star’s headlining set at the Lollapalooza music festival. Grande and the Social House member sat “next to each other during dinner” at a surprise party for one of her bodyguards, according to an eyewitness.
It was revealed on July 9 that Netflix US will be losing Friends when its rights holder WarnerMedia launches its streaming service HBO Max next year.
The huge loss came only a few weeks after the company also announced that NBCUniversal would be gaining the rights to The Office.
But according to Nielsen, these programmes were Netflix's most-watched in 2018, in terms of minutes spent viewing.
So why did Netflix make the decision to pull the plug?
Shows such as Friends and The Office are expensive – Netflix paid $100 million to stream Friends and was willing to splash up to $90 million to keep the the rights for The Office. Therefore, it'll save a whole lot of money on licensing fees once they're gone.
In a statement released last month, Netflix said: "Much of our domestic, and eventually global, Disney catalogue, as well as Friends, The Office, and some other licensed content will wind down over the coming years, freeing up budget for more original content."
By extension, this means Netflix can focus on exclusive content only available on its platform – helping it to compete against other services. With Disney+ and others incoming, this is vital.
When you think about it, the headlines surrounding Netflix's cull have actually given the service a fair bit of publicity.
And according to Vanity Fair, several experts reckon the furore might eventually amount to "a lot of noise".
Rich Greenfield – a media analyst for research firm BTIG – told the publication: "Netflix is the new cure for boredom at home – if The Office isn't available you'll watch something else."
Is Leonardo DiCaprio Hollywood’s last movie star? That was the thrust of a recent Hollywood Reporter feature, suggesting he stands alone as an actor whose name is a hallmark of a movie’s quality in itself, who rarely has a flop, and who doesn’t put himself about too much – Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood is his first movie since 2015’s The Revenant. “He is arguably the only global superstar left in a film industry in which an interchangeable group of actors regularly suit up in spandex or brandish a lightsaber for the latest billion-dollar earner,” the magazine argues, comparing DiCaprio’s pre-eminence with would-be peers such as Will Smith, Jennifer Lawrence and Robert Downey Jr.
Is there any rival to DiCaprio still standing in the movie-star stakes? Possibly one: his Once Upon a Time … co-star Brad Pitt. Pitt’s back catalogue might be patchier (recent flops such as Allied and War Machine might have passed you by completely), and his love life gossipier, but like DiCaprio, he broke out as a teen heartthrob in the late 90s, then successfully transitioned into serious-actor status. Between them they have worked with the best in the business: Scorsese, Malick, Fincher, Spielberg, Iñárritu (both) and, of course, Tarantino – Pitt in Inglourious Basterds, DiCaprio in Django Unchained.
The Frenchwoman has been awarded the showcase match between Chelsea and Liverpool after officiating the Women’s World Cup final this summer
The Frenchwoman took charge of the Fifa Women’s World Cup final earlier this summer as the United States defeat the Netherlands in Lyon.
And now Uefa have decided to hand her another big match at the Vodafone Park in Istanbul on 14 August.
Frappart will lead a team of mostly female officials: Manuela Nicolosi of France and Michelle O’Neal from the Republic of Ireland will be her assistants for the match.
Nicolosi and O’Neal also officiated at the Women’s World Cup final, while the fourth official will be Turkey’s Cuneyt Cakir.
While preparing for his May 2012 fight against Miguel Cotto, Floyd Mayweather Jr., then 42-0, was asked to name his toughest opponent. His answer was the same as it had always been: Emanuel Augustus. He didn’t have the best record in the sport of boxing; he has never won a world title, but,” said Mayweather, “he came to fight.”
If there is a go-to anecdote that veritable legion of Augustus enthusiasts calls on in their apologies for a fighter who retired with a 38-34-6 (20) record, this is it. It is a compliment that warrants some unpacking. Mayweather would have no problem so lavishly complimenting a fighter he was, by then, in no way competing with. Indeed, by isolating Augustus, Mayweather was effectively diminishing the challenges posed by opponents such as Jose Luis Castillo, who many argue beat Mayweather in their first fight, or Oscar De La Hoya, who fared better against the best fighter in the world than his aged form should’ve allowed. And you can trust that Mayweather expected his answer to find some traction, hence the “sport of boxing” he couldn’t resist using when pressed to speak of his trade on the record. Mayweather hedged immediately after that praise, too, inserting the often-ignored qualifier that he “took a long layoff” before the Augustus fight.
But the compliment stands—and so it should.
Augustus made Mayweather earn his twenty-fourth professional victory; there was hardly a free moment for “Pretty Boy,” who was forced to fight, and dazzlingly so, to put away Augustus in the ninth. Craft pushed Mayweather that night: you need more than talent, or physicality, or toughness to trouble so complete a fighter as the lightweight version of Mayweather.
We should take Mayweather at his word, then, just as we did James Toney—a man less calculated in his compliments, loathe as he is to offer them—when the fiercely proud fighter praised Mike McCallum as the best fighter with whom he had shared the ring. And so a .500 fighter, a career .500 fighter, not one who ran up a gaudy record before being derailed, is the best fighter this generation’s best fighter ever faced. It is for reasons like this that people like to say Augustus’s record fails to tell the story.
Are they right to do so? And if Augustus’s record fails to tell the defining story, does it still tell us something?
A USA Basketball Coach Academy – presented by Nike – will take place on Aug. 8-9 at Durango High School in Las Vegas. Registration and more information are available online.
Launched in 2015, USA Basketball Coach Academies provide valuable insight and education to basketball coaches and administrators. Academy sessions impart the USA Basketball curriculum for a proper skill development path to teach the game to children of all ages and ability levels. Guest speakers focus on areas of expertise to present on basketball and leadership topics applied both on and off the court.
Expected to present at the event are:
USA Basketball Coach Academies feature a multi–day format with presentations catered to coaches of all experience levels working with players of any skill set.
On Aug. 8, the USA Basketball Coach Academy in Las Vegas will run from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. PDT with an evening social reception at Top Golf from 7-9 p.m. And on Aug. 9, the academy will be from 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
Registration for the event is $225. USA Basketball gold licensed coaches are eligible for a 25% discount.
Attendees will have networking opportunities to meet and socialize with one another, as well as with speakers. In addition, USA Basketball and Nike gift items will be provided to all registered attendees.
Sessions at a USA Basketball Coach Academy feature a variety of styles of teaching, including: player demonstrations, lectures, panel discussions, on court basketball instruction and off court coaching techniques and life skills training.
Attendees must be at least 18 years old to register.
Tyron Woodley has never had much of a problem talking about what’s on his mind - especially when it comes to fellow UFC fighters. So when Jon Jones was charged with battery over an alleged incident in a strip club in April, it was expected that Woodley would weigh in on things eventually.
“We gonna act like Conor doesn’t do that every week? And we still want to put him on every fight card; he’s the biggest star. The second Jon Jones does something…”
“I’m defending the fact that we selectively throw people under the bus. Conor has done way worse things than Jon, and he’s glorified and praised as some Scarface of our sport. So I’m not gonna be too hard on Jon (when) I don’t even know the details.”
He is clear that he’s not blindly supporting Jones though:
“I’m not gonna give him a pass, either, because it ain’t my job to give the pass out. All I’m saying is this: Let’s get all the details first, but let’s not forget there’s a lot of bullsh-t that go on in our sport that we glorify.”
Woodley (19-4-1, 9-3-1 UFC) had been scheduled to return against Robbie Lawler, but was forced out of the bout with an injury. The former UFC welterweight champion remains on the sidelines.
Top Rank promoter Bob Arum believes the reason why IBF welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr. isn’t fighting his guy WBO champ Terence Crawford in a big pay-per-view match is because his adviser Al Haymon has no confidence in Errol that he can win the fight. Arum says he understands that, given that he would do the same thing if he had a big name guy that he didn’t believe could win a fight against another talented fighter.
Top Rank boss Arum says he’s ready to make the Crawford vs. Spence fight as soon as possible, as long as Errol’s adviser Haymon of Premier Boxing Champions is willing to agree to a 50-50 purse spit. That’s something that Arum may not be able to get though, because Spence (25-0, 21 KOs) has already shown that he’s a bigger draw than Crawford with his recent successful pay-per-view fight against Mikey Garcia.
The fight brought in over 400,000 buys on Fox Sports PPV. In contrast, Crawford’s two ventures into PPV against Amir Khan and Viktor Postol were dismal failures. The Crawford-Khan fight is said to have done little more than 200,000 buys on ESPN PPV. Spence, 29, will be fighting WBC welterweight champion Shawn Porter (30-2-1, 17 KOs) next on September 28 on Fox Sport Pay-Per-View. If that match does huge numbers a well, that’s going to make it even tougher for the Spence vs. Crawford fight to get made. If Arum continues to stubbornly talk about wanting a 50-50 split for his fighter Crawford, he’s going to ruin the chances of that match ever getting made. Crawford is already 32, and that’s not young for a welterweight.
Crawford’s days are numbered as an elite level fighter. Once Crawford’s hand speed takes a hit, he’ll have nothing to fall back on other than his gimmicky switch hitting that he does. You can argue that Crawford’s constant changing of stances doesn’t effect his fights, because he’s better when he’s fighting out of his orthodox right-handed stance. The casual fans are the ones that impressed with Crawford’s switch-hitting gimmick that he uses. It doesn’t help him win, because he’s already beating his opponents when he’s fighting right-handed.
“For Haymon, it was a win-win for Andy Ruiz to go over and do that fight on DAZN [against Anthony Joshua], because Andy Ruiz wasn’t a marquee guy on PBC, so it was a win-win for him,” said Arum to Fighthub. “The question of whether he takes a marquee guy, which Errol certainly is, and puts him with Crawford, even though his network and ESPN would share the pay-per-view distribution, that’s another thing. Because there he takes a marquee guy and he’s in danger of losing, and then he hurts himself.
The way Spence and Crawford looked in their recent fights, Errol would ave to be viewed as the favorite to win that fight. He’s bigger, stronger, and can do all the little gimmicky things that Crawford can do.
Iniulat ng mainland China na may 69 bagong kaso ng COVID-19, Sabado (Jan 9), higit na doble sa naunang nabalitang 33 kaso, pahayag ng national health authority ng bansa.Read more ...
QUEZON CITY – Bumaba na sa pinakamababang bilang ng mga nahahawaan ng coronavirus disease (Covid-19) sa Lungsod Quezon sa loob ng anim na linggo.Read more ...