UFC

  • ‘Korean Zombie’ Chan Sung Jung wants to fight Frankie Edgar next

    After Frankie Edgar’s win over Cub Swanson, UFC featherweight Chan Sung Jung had a straightforward callout for “The Answer.”

    Former UFC lightweight champion and current featherweight contender Frankie Edgar bounced back from his first career knockout loss by winning a clear-cut unanimous decision over Cub Swanson in front of his adoring fans in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

  • ‘More motivated than ever,’ Stipe Miocic wants eventual Daniel Cormier rematch

    Stipe Miocic wants to run back his unsuccessful heavyweight title defense against Daniel Cormier, which took place at UFC 226 and resulted in a Cormier first-round knockout.

    Stipe Miocic is going nowhere.

    The former UFC heavyweight champion is “more motivated than ever” following his first-round knockout loss to Daniel Cormier, which cost him the title, in the UFC 226 main event last Saturday at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

  • A Master in Three Fights: The technical evolution of Jose Aldo

    A look at the technical evolution of Brazil’s finest mixed martial artist through the lens of three pivotal bouts.

    Jose Aldo’s fall from grace has been unbefitting a fighter of his caliber. The greatest featherweight in the sport’s history – and also its greatest technician (sorry, Mighty Mouse) – Aldo was unfortunate enough to attract mainstream attention at precisely the wrong moment. Namely, ahead of his now-infamous 13-second knockout at the hands of reigning lightweight champion Conor McGregor.

  • Accuser in Nick Diaz domestic incident claims cocaine use made him violent

    Details have emerged from an alleged domestic violence incident involving former UFC title contender and Strikeforce champion Nick Diaz.

    In late May MMA Junkie confirmed news that former Strikeforce champion and UFC title contender Nick Diaz had been arrested in Las Vegas. Diaz was reportedly taken into custody on May 24th on domestic violence charges, before being released on $18,000 bail. Friends of Diaz were quick to rush to his defense, attacking the alleged victim’s character and the nature of her relationship with the notable fighter.

  • Adrian Broner: I’ll fight Nate Diaz on the Mayweather vs. McGregor card

    Boxer Adrien Broner suggested that he’d be interested in fighting Nate Diaz on the Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather undercard. Sort of.

    If you follow boxing much, you’ll know that former four-division champion Adrien Broner is not a stranger to saying controversial things. The oft-maligned Broner (33-2, 1 NC, 24 KO) fights undefeated Mikey Garcia lightweight champ (36-0, 30 KO) at 140 pounds in July, but in a conversation with TMZ Sports, he said he’d like another fight right after that - on the undercard of the Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor megafight on August 26th

  • After big win at UFC Denver, Donald Cerrone says he is ‘waiting on’ Conor McGregor

    Donald Cerrone is riding the high of his record-breaking win over Mike Perry at UFC Fight Night 139, and ‘Cowboy’ has his sights set on Conor McGregor.

    After submitting ‘Platinum’ with a slick armbar in the first round of the co-main event, Cerrone teased of an exciting lightweight matchup but didn’t reveal his potential opponent.

  • Ageless Mark Hunt takes aim at Alistair Overeem, calls him ‘a cheat’

    Mark Hunt is still winning at 43 years old. Now he wants payback against Alistair Overeem, a fighter he labels “a cheat.”

    Mark Hunt might just be ageless.

    When he exited the Octagon last night, Hunt walked away with a win at UFC Auckland, stopping the ascent of a potential title contender in Derrick Lewis. Not only did he win, but Hunt finished his opponent in a late round at the ripe age of 43.

  • Aguilar explains her side of why NSYAC nixed her UFC Utica fight due to chapped lips

    Jessica Aguilar isn’t happy about being pulled from her UFC Utica fight despite being cleared by doctors.

    Ever since the UFC got legalized in the state of New York, the athletic commission there has been under scrutiny for their handling of events. Whether it involves strange refereeing decisions, unnecessary suspensions, or just straight out weirdness, it seems like there’s always something.

  • Al Iaquinta still raging after return to competition, tells UFC ‘cut me you sissys’

    Al Iaquinta’s return to the UFC has been accompanied by a return to open hostility with the promotion.

    When Al Iaquinta effectively retired from the UFC back in September of 2016, the reasons seemed fairly obvious. He wasn’t happy. Negotiations for a new contract had turned sour and, for him, fighting was no longer worth the money. Despite being scheduled for a fight later that year (against Thaigo Alves at UFC 205), Iaquinta chose to hang up his gloves instead, and give real estate sales a try.

  • Al Iaquinta: ‘I can still kick the s—t out of Kajan Johnson on one knee’

    Despite the injuries he is currently dealing with, Al Iaquinta is confident about his chances in a possible fight against Kajan Johnson

    UFC lightweight Al Iaquinta just put on what could be the best performance of his career last April, when he knocked out veteran Diego Sanchez in the first round. But as of right now, his immediate fighting future remains uncertain.

  • Aldo ‘happy’ MMA was in the spotlight, but McGregor had no moral victory against Mayweather

    Jose Aldo discussed his former rival’s boxing match against Floyd Mayweather.

    Conor McGregor performed better than many expected, but at the same time, Floyd Mayweather still won their boxing match somewhat comfortably. According to his former rival Jose Aldo, he doesn’t see a moral victory for McGregor.

    “Of course not. It’s not a moral (victory),” Aldo said on the opening of his new burger joint in Brazil. "First of all, you’re trying to prove (what) against a 41-year-old fighter who hasn’t fought in years… Of course, it’s a fight for a lot of money, but a moral victory would be against an active boxer, a champion. Then he wouldn’t even last a round. It’s a completely different sport.

    “We need to put ourselves in our places. I’m an MMA athlete. I can’t go tomorrow and say I’m going to do muay Thai in Thailand with a Thai fighter, because I can punch and kick well. There’s no way. Each one in their places. I respect martial arts, so I put myself in my place. I don’t see a moral victory.”

    Aldo says that even a retired Mayweather who took McGregor lightly, was able to win easily.

    "Mayweather just waited for the time to attack," he added. "He hasn’t fought in two years. Many people talk shit, not the media, but many people keep saying ‘oh, he landed more punches than Pacquiao, Cotto and everyone else,' but they don’t take into consideration that (Mayweather) hasn’t fought in two years. He didn’t even train properly for the fight. He knew it would work. Brother, one chance in a million for Conor to defeat Mayweather."

    Everything said, Aldo thinks it was nice that the massive fight put the spotlight to MMA, as it could eventually lead to better paydays for other Mixed Martial Artists.

    "I think this fight was good because of that, it put MMA in the spotlight,” he said. "I’m happy for that. I think that’s something good for fighters. We deserve to make more (money). Not taking anything away from other sports, but our sport is unique. We don’t train only one martial art per day, we train three or four, plus conditioning training. We deserve to make a lot more than we make.

    "Nothing against it, I’m happy because the guy did a big fight and promoted MMA, I’m happy because of that, but not about the fight. Nobody liked the fight. It was a joke. I don’t know how people saw it here in Brazil, but in America the comments that I heard were those. It was a circus fight."

    Aldo also admitted that he didn’t watch the fight when it aired as he was at a football game at the time. The former long time featherweight champion also wants to complete his UFC contract and move to boxing, but unlike McGregor foray, he says he plans on doing it the right way.

    Transcripts and translations by MMA Fighting and MMA Junkie.

     

  • Alex Oliveira plans to avoid Ryan LaFlare’s takedowns by ‘moving’ and ‘hitting him hard in the face'

    Alex Oliveira has a gameplan for when he takes on Ryan LaFlare at UFC on Fox 25

    Alex Oliveira is not too worried about Ryan LaFlare’s wrestling prowess when they in New York. As “Cowboy” explained to Combate, he has a gameplan to nullify LaFlare’s game, which consists on a lot of footwork and also hitting him in the face as hard and often as possible.

  • Alistair Overeem and Fabricio Werdum go back and forth in co-main event

    Alistair Overeem and Fabricio Werdum completed for the third time at UFC 213, but it didn’t really put a definite end to their trilogy. After a pretty uneventful opening round, Overeem edged the 2nd, and Werdum took the third with a wide margin as he hurt Alistair pretty bad.

  • All fighters are on weight, but Yoel Romero needs the towel

    Check out the official weigh-in results for UFC 213: Nunes vs. Shevchenko 2 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

    The UFC 213 weigh-ins are in the books, with everyone able to make weight. Amanda Nunes was 135 pounds on the money, while her women’s bantamweight title challenger Valentina Shevchenko came in at 134.5. Robert Whittaker weighed in quite early for his interim middleweight title bout vs. Yoel Romero, who needed the towel as he tipped the scales at 185.

  • Amanda Nunes believes she or Joanna Jedrzejczyk will be UFC’s first women’s two-division champ

    UFC women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes is pleased with all the new divisions that have been added to the UFC.

    Reigning UFC women’s bantamweight champion, Amanda Nunes, is happy to see the UFC expanding its women’s divisions. As she revealed to Combate, the more weight classes the UFC keeps on adding, the bigger the chances are for the first ever two-division women’s champ to come to surface. In Nunes' eyes, it'll be either herself or strawweight champion, Joanna Jedrzejczyk.

  • Amanda Nunes calls out Holm and de Randamie: I want to become women’s first two-division champ

    UFC women’s bantamweight champ Nunes calls out the winner of Holm vs. de Randamie for a shot at the featherweight title.

    Will 2017 see a rise in multi-division champions? It’s looking that way.

    Conor McGregor’s historic achievement at UFC 205, which saw him capture the lightweight title to become the promotion’s first two-division champ, has spurred several fighters to accomplish the same feat.

  • Amanda Nunes wants Cris Cyborg bout in December: We need time ‘to make this huge’

    UFC women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes explains why shes wants to fight Cris Cyborg in December, as opposed to September.

    Amanda Nunes still longs for that super fight.

  • Amanda Nunes: 'There's nothing Valentina can do to take the belt from me'

    Amanda Nunes feels no pressure as she prepares to take on Valentina Shevchenko a second time.

    As female bantamweight champion, Amanda Nunes, is making her final preparations to take on Valentina Shevchenko for the second time. She revealed to Combate that there is no pressure coming in to the fight, even though she is the last Brazilian with a UFC title for the time being.

  • An open letter to the Black Beast: How Derrick Lewis beats Daniel Cormier

    Hey, Derrick. What’s up?

    So, in a matter of days, you’re going to be fighting for the UFC heavyweight title. You. Derrick Lewis. Pretty crazy, right? I’m sure you’re very excited for this opportunity (and I’m excited for you!) but there must be some nerves as well.

  • Anderson Silva dismantles training camp with UFC 212 bout scrapped

    UFC’s 212 PPV card just took a big notoriety hit with the absence of former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

    The UFC’s PPV card in Rio de Janeiro this June is all set to feature a lineup for Brazilian MMA stars, but it’ll be without it’s most marquee attraction. Anderson Silva was set to face Kelvin Gastelum in a bout on the PPV card, but a failed drug test for marijuana and subsequent suspension by the Brazilian MMA Sports Court for saw Gastelum pulled from the card.