Boxing

Boxing

  • Badou Jack vs. Nathan Cleverly – Results

    Former super middleweight champion Badou Jack (22-1-2, 13 KOs) trounced WBA World light heavyweight champion Nathan Cleverly (30-4, 16 KOs) in stopping him in the 5th round on Saturday night on the undercard of the Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Conor McGregor card on Showtime pay-per-view from the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

    Jack, 33, battered Cleverly, bloodying his nose and hitting him at will until referee Tony Weeks stepped in to stop the slaughter at 2:47 of round 5. Cleverly was just covering up, taking shots and not letting his hands go nearly enough to keep Jack off him.

  • Bellew to fight in December, wants Andre Ward

    Former WBC cruiserweight champion Tony “Bomber” Bellew (29-2-1, 19 KOs) says he’ll be fighting in December, and he feels he’s closer to a fight against light heavyweight champion Andre “SOG” Ward than he is in a rematch with David Haye. Thanks to a timely Achilles tendon injury Haye suffered in their fight on March 4, Bellew, 34, was able to stop him in the 11th.

  • Beristain: GGG can probably KO Canelo

    Trainer Nacho Beristain is picking Gennady “GGG” Golovkin to knockout Saul “Canelo” Alvarez in their fight on September 16. Beristain says that if Canelo (49-1-1, 34 KOs) fights in the same manner that he recently did in his win over Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. last month on May 6, then Golovkin will beat him, because he’s missing something from his game in the defensive side of his game.

  • Berto sees Andre Ward stopping Sergey Kovalev

    Andre Berto sees Andre Ward (31-0, 15 KOs) potentially knocking out former light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev (30-1-1, 26 KOs) in their rematch this Saturday night. Berto says Ward has seen something from the first fight with Kovalev that he thinks he can expose to get a knockout. Ward isn’t known for being a knockout puncher, however.

  • Berto: Canelo will KO GGG

     Andre Berto is picking Saul “Canelo” Alvarez to defeat Gennady “GGG” Golovkin on September 16, and he sees him beating him by a knockout. That’s Berto’s prediction. Berto says that if the fight had taken place 2 years ago, he might have felt differently, but Golovkin is coming off of a performance against Danny Jacobs were he didn’t look so good in Berto’s mind.

  • Beterbiev and Kovalev gunning for Andre Ward

    Andre Ward (31-0, 15 KOs) is now in the hot seat with his close/controversial 12 round unanimous decision win over former IBF/WBA/WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev (30-1-1, 26 KOs) on November 19 last year Not only is Kovalev gunning for Ward’s titles in a badly wanted rematch, but also unbeaten #2 IBF Artur Beterbiev (11-0, 11 KOs), who will be facing the winner of the Ward-Kovalev 2 fight unless the winner chooses to vacate the IBF belt.

  • Beterbiev vs. Koelling – vacant IBF 175lb title possible for Nov.11

     week, it potentially impacts next months’ November 11th fight between #2 IBF Artur Beterbiev (11-0, 11 KOs) and Enrico Koelling (23-1, 6 KOs), who were supposed to be fighting in an IBF 175 lb. title eliminator bout.

    The winner of the Beterbiev-Koelling fight would have been the IBF mandatory challenger to Ward. But now that Ward has retired, it’s likely that the International Boxing Federation will make the Beterbiv vs. Koelling fight for the vacant IBF title. That’s what Dan Rafael thinks will happen.

  • Billy Joe Saunders targeted for Canelo vs. Smith undercard

    It’s looking more and more like WBO middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders could very well wind up on the undercard of the Saul Canelo Alvarez vs. Liam Smith fight on September 17 at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

  • Billy Joe Saunders to fight on Dec.9 in London

    Billy Joe Saunders (25-0, 12 KOs) will be back inside the ring in just 2 months from now on December 9 defending his WBO middleweight strap against an opponent still to be determined, according to his promoter Frank Warren. Saunders, 28, will be fighting at the Copper Box Arena in London, England.

  • Billy Joe Saunders to fight on October 22

    Billy Joe Saunders will be defending his WBO middleweight title next month against an opponent still to be determined on October 22 at the Motorpoint Arena, in Cardiff, Wales. The fact that the 27-year-old Saunders still doesn’t have an opponent for the fight isn’t the greatest news for boxing fans, because it suggests that it might be an underwhelming name that he winds up facing.

  • Billy Joe Saunders to fight Willie Monroe Jr. on Sep.16

    As reported previously by Boxing News 24, WBO middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders will be making his next defense against former world title challenger Willie Monroe Jr. (21-2, 6 KOs) on September 16 at the Copper Box Arena in London, England.

    Saunders vs. Monroe is still not official though. There was a press release sent out this past week saying Saunders’ next fight would be announced on July 4. That didn’t happen, so we’ll have to wait for the official word. Never the less, Monroe Jr. is the one that is being talked about as Saunders’ opponent.

  • Billy Joe Saunders vs. Willie Monroe Jr. – Results

    WBO middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders (25-0, 12 KOs) did enough to beat #5 WBO challenger Willie Monroe Jr. (21-3, 6 KOs) by a 12 round unanimous decision on Saturday night at the Copper Box Arena in London, England. This was a really boring fight to say the least. I’m being kind here.

  • Bob Arum: Manny Pacquiao wants to return to boxing soon, looking for opponent

    Manny Pacquiao is not done after all. The former welterweight champion of the world wants to fight again, according to promoter Bob Arum.

    "He now has given us the go-ahead to shop for a venue and an opponent and see if we can do it on a particular date or dates," Arum told The Guardian on Tuesday. "We've been trying to work out a date that doesn't interfere with his senatorial responsibilities and his ability to train."

  • Boxers’ pogi problems

    LAS VEGAS via GLUTAMAX - In the world of boxing, punches and strikes are not all that matter. Even looks do.

    Good-looking Jessie Vargas, the World Boxing Organization Welterweight Champion who will face Manny Pacquiao this Sunday, was also offered to be a model and a movie star, but he insisted on his boxing career.

  • Boxrec rankings versus subjective criteria

    When trying to find out who is the better boxer, Boxrec rankings are a useful tool. Despite having followed boxing off and on for almost a decade, I was ignorance of these rankings until a month ago.

  • Brandon Rios vs. Aaron Herrera – Results

    Making a comeback after close to 2 years out of the ring, Brandon “Bam Bam” Rios (34-3-1, 25 KOs) stopped journeyman Aaron Herrera (32-7-1, 21 KOs) in the 7th round on Sunday night in a successful comeback at the Pioneer Event Center in Lancaster, California. The 31-year-old Rios wore down the younger, faster and more powerful 28-year-old Herrera until stopping him with a right hand to the body in the 7th.

    Herrera went down to one knee and was counted out by referee Jack Reiss. It didn’t look like that big of a punch by Rios, but it was placed well and Herrera was already tired from the shots that he’d been absorbing.

  • Brandon Rios wants to get back to the top

    Former WBA lightweight champion Brandon Rios (33-3-1, 24 KOs) will be fighting this Sunday against Aaron Herrera (32-6-1, 21 KOs) in a 10 round fight in what Rios hopes will take him back to the top of the welterweight division. Rios-Herrera will be televised on Premier Boxing Champions on FS1 & Fox Deportes this Sunday on June 11 at The Pioneer Event Center in Lancaster, California. The start time for the Rios vs. Herrera is at 10:30 p.m. ET/7:30 p.m. PT.

  • Breazeale wants to face Whyte on Oct.28

    Dominic Breazeale (18-1, 16 KOs) says open to fighting British heavyweight Dillian Whyte (21-1, 16 KOs) on October 28 on the undercard of the Anthony Joshua vs. Kubrat Pulev card in Cardiff, Wales. Breazeale is more than a handful for a good but flawed heavyweight like Whyte. I consider Whyte vs. Breazeale as a 50-50 fight, especially given the small amount of preparation time for both guys to train.

  • Briedis vs. Perez winner faces Usyk next

    The World Boxing Super Series continues this Saturday night with WBC cruiserweight champion Mairis Briedis fighting Mike Perez with the winner of his match to face WBO champion Oleksandr Usyk (13-0, 11 KOs in the semifinals the first quarter of 2018.

    You can say that Briedis-Perez winner will have the toughest fight in the tournament in battling Usyk. Recently, Usyk defeated Marco Huck by a 10th round knockout in his quarterfinals fight in the WBSS tournament on September 9th in Berlin, Germany. The win took the 30-year-old 2012 Olympic gold medalist Usyk to the next round of the $50 million WBSS tourney.

  • Broner angry at media for being underdog

    Adrien “The Problem” Broner (33-2, 24 KOs) doesn’t like the idea that the boxing media has made him an underdog for his fight against Mikey Garcia (36-0, 30 KOs) for their fight in less than 2 weeks from now on Showtime Boxing at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.