CBS chairman and chief executive Leslie Moonves reportedly believes a rematch between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao is possible, according to the LA Times. Moonves told Pacquiao’s trainer Freddie Roach he thinks the rematch can take place. Roach and Pacquiao both want a second chance at Mayweather after losing a 12 round decision last year in May in the ‘fight of the century in 2015.
Former welterweight champion Jessie Vargas says he’s hearing that UFC fighter Conor McGregor has been knocked out already in sparring for his August 26 fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. Vargas says that the boxing world is small with the news traveling fast about sparring episodes.
Vargas says he’s not surprised that McGregor, 29, has gotten knocked out, as he thinks he’s going to get knocked out by Mayweather within 7 rounds. Former light welterweight champion Brandon Rios is also saying he’s heard stories about McGregor sparring.
Conor McGregor’s agenda is to beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. and ruin his boxing legacy on August 26 in their fight on Showtime PPV from the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Mayweather and the birthday boy McGregor met on Friday for their final stop in their 4-city International press tour at the SSE Wembley Arena in London, England.
Conor McGregor has signed an agreement for a mega-fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr., but now he’s waiting for him to sign his part. McGregor says Mayweather needs to sign the contract or else he’s just a mouth that talks. Mayweather (49-0, 26 KOs) is still saying that there’s no rush for him to sign for the fight against the 28-year-old McGregor. Mayweather wants to make sure that he’s the “A-side” in the promotion. He’s confident that he will be fighting the UFC star when he gets back inside the ring for his next and perhaps final fight of his career.
Conor McGregor has decided that his best chances of beating Floyd Mayweather Jr. is to go after him early, and look to scalp him right away on August 26 in their fight at the T-Mobile Arena, in Las Vegas, Nevada.
McGregor, 28, is already predicting an early knockout by the 4th round against the 40-year-old Mayweather in their scheduled 12 round boxing match. It’s easy to understand why. McGregor has been fighting 5 round fights in the UFC.
Conor McGregor spent the better part of his press conference on Tuesday with reporters today jockeying back and forth with Floyd Mayweather Sr. instead of talking to the boxing media in Los Angeles, California about his August 26th fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. on Showtime pay-per-view.
McGregor did let the media know that he thinks the 40-year-old Mayweather is too small, too fragile and too weak to stand up to him inside the boxing ring. McGregor says his shots will be too powerful for Mayweather to block. McGregor doesn’t see that working well for Mayweather if he tries to block his big power shots
Chris van Heerden, a former sparring partner for UFC champion Conor McGregor, gives the 28-year-old fighter ZERO chance of beating Floyd Mayweather Jr. in their fight at 154 pounds on August 26. Van Heerden last sparred with McGregor a year ago, and he say he landing at will with his shots on the Irish fighter during the sparring session.
Inactive former four division world champion Miguel Cotto has reportedly parted ways with his promoters at Roc Nation Sports after just 2 fights with the company. According to Dan Rafael, Cotto and Roc Nation couldn’t agree on the amount of money the soon to be 37-year-old Cotto would get for his fight against Japanese fighter Yoshihiro Kamegai (27-3-2, 24 KOs). That fight was supposed to have taken place on June 24. It’s not going to happen now though. There were several venues that were being considered for the Cotto-Kamegai fight in Puerto Rico, Miami and Frisco, Texas.
Miguel Cotto surprised a lot of boxing fans on Wednesday in inking a multi-fight deal with Golden Boy Promotions on Wednesday that will keep the 36-year old fighter in action beyond his next fight against Yoshihiro Kamegai (27-3-2, 24 KOs) on August 26. It was thought that the 36-year-old Cotto would be retiring from boxing at the end of the year after a possible rematch with Saul Canelo Alvarez, but new contract with Golden Boy changes that.
Fighting for the first time at cruiserweight, former heavyweight contender Mike Perez (22-2-1, 14 KOs) obliterated a badly over-matched Viktor Biscak (10-1, 7 KOs) in the 1st round of a shceduled 6 round fight on Saturday night at the Odyssey Arena, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom.
From “Kid Dynamite” to “Iron Mike”, Mike Tyson has always been revered for his Boxing skills and knockout power. He holds the record for being the youngest heavyweight champion and is the youngest to unify the division.
WBC lightweight champion Mikey Garcia says he’s open to either sparring or fighting Conor McGregor before he fights Floyd Mayweather Jr. this year. Mikey says they can arrange a weight to fight each other at if he wants to test himself before he faces Mayweather. Mikey is willing to fight the 28-year-old McGregor at a catch-weight at either welterweight or junior middleweight.
Making his first appearance in almost three years, former two division belt holder Mikey Garcia (35-0, 29 KOs) stopped former WBC World featherweight champion Elio Rojas (24-3, 14 KOs)
Mikey Garcia (35-0, 29 KOs) looked sensational in his fight last month against Elio Rojas in stopping him in the 5th round last month on July 30 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Former two division world champion Garcia, 28, is now looking to get a title shot against WBC lightweight champion Dejan Zlaticanin or WBO champion Terry Flanagan straightaway if possible.
Lightweight champion Mikey Garcia was impressed with Errol Spence’s 11th round stoppage win over IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook last Saturday night on May 27, and he feels that Spence is right up there with WBA/WBC 147 pound champion Keith Thurman as the best 2 fighters in the division. Mikey says he views Spence as having the better overall boxing skills than Thurman.
I reside in Los Angeles, specifically within a 60-mile radius said to have the most boxing gyms per capita in the world. There are boxing gyms everywhere, in backyards, plazas, indoor swap meets, corners, and stand-alone buildings. Being raised in this area, we grow a bias towards the American and Hispanic boxer, because they are among us, a part of our communities. My bias led me to watch the Vasyl Lomachenko vs Orlando Salido fight, cheering for the latter to teach Lomachencko a lesson.
Former world champion Johnny Nelson thinks that Kell Brook (36-0, 25 KOs) should attack IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (35-0, 32 KOs) straightaway in their fight on September 10, because he believes that his best chance of winning the contest is to not fight passively.
CHAMPION BOXER Donnie “Ahas” Nietes returns to the ring this weekend looking to claim a third division title and join a prestigious group of Filipino fighters to have done so.
Mr. Nietes, 34, is to headline “Pinoy Pride 40: Domination” at the Waterfront Hotel and Casino in Cebu City tomorrow, taking on Thai Komgrich Nantapech for the vacant International Boxing Federation Flyweight Championship.
DONNIE Nietes, the longest-reigning Filipino world champion, has relinquished his World Boxing Organization light flyweight title, as he prepares to move up in weight to face former world champion Edgar Sosa in a flyweight bout at the Stub Hub Center in Carson City, California on Sept. 24.
Manny Pacquiao fights have been airing over HBO pay-per-view for many years. But this time, as the Pambansang Kamao returns to the ring on November 5 after a very short retirement, HBO will not be around.
Page 17 of 25