Angel Garcia, the trainer/father of WBC welterweight champion Danny Garcia, thinks that HBO should be embarrassed that they put the fight between WBC 140lb champion Viktor Postol and WBO light welterweight champion Terence Crawford on pay-per-view last month.
Alfredo Angulo hints that Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (48-1-1, 34 KOs) lacks the heart, which is why he’s chosen to fight Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (50-2-1 32 KOs) in his next fight on May 6 instead of middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (36-0, 33 KOs). Angulo, who lost to Canelo by a 10th round knockout in March 2014, says the reason why Chavez Jr. getting the fight is because he doesn’t have the same boxing skills as Golovkin, and that he’ll likely struggle to make the 164.5lb catch-weight fight the fight on May 6 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The heavyweight division is not stacked right now, certainly not as thick with talent as some of the lighter weight classes. Alexander Povetkin’s potential matchup with Deontay “the Bronze Bomber” Wilder was scratched due to a failed drug test; Tyson Fury’s rematch with Wladimir Klitschko was also cancelled for a failed drug test (among other issues). The first match between Fury and Klitschko, while an upset in Fury’s favor, wasn’t much to write home about. Despite these drawbacks though, there is still enough going on in the division to excite the diehard fan.
The future of heavyweight boxing appears to belong to Anthony Joshua (19-0, 19 KOs).
The 27-year-old ascendant superstar answered plenty of tough questions from Wladimir Klitschko (64-5, 53 KOs) in the biggest fight of his career on Saturday night at Wembley Stadium, earning a technical knockout victory in the 11th round to win the IBO, IBF and WBA world heavyweight titles.
Eddie Hearn has confirmed Anthony Joshua's next fight will be on November 26, 2016.
And the IBF world heavyweight champion will fight away from London's O2 Arena for the first time in five bouts.
Joshua revealed the date while at the Rio Olympics watching Joe Joyce claim silver in the super-heavyweight final and Hearn confirmed to Sky Sports on Sunday: "November 26 is the date for your diary. We are changing city. The opponent and venue will be confirmed in the next few weeks."
Joshua successfully defended his IBF heavyweight belt in June with a seventh-round stoppage win over Dominic Breazeale, after which it was confirmed he would not fight again until the end of the year.
The Watford-born heavyweight's opponent has not yet been decided but Hearn has been drawing up a list and in July he added the names of Kubrat Pulev and Joseph Parker to Bermane Stiverne, who has been training for a possible Joshua bout.
Negotiations for Joshua's mandatory title defence against Parker are also not due to start until November, but his promoter Dean Lonergan insisted in June the 24-year-old would accept a fight date that month.
Lonergan told Sky Sports: "We're ready now. If Eddie Hearn rang me up tomorrow and says we want to fight in the mandatory period, we want to fight November or December - that would be fantastic."
Parker is also being lined up to face Alexandar Dimitrenko on October 1 but his last two fights have been just eight weeks apart.
Joshua has boxed in Birmingham, Newcastle, Liverpool twice, Manchester, Glasgow, Cardiff and Sheffield, as well as Wembley Stadium and York Hall.
Well, we now know where IBF heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua (17-0, 17 KOs) will be making his next title defense of his International Boxing Federation title on November 26. The 26-year-old Joshua will be fighting against an opponent still to be determined at the Manchester Arena in Manchester, UK.
For the boxing fans that were hoping to see unbeaten Hughie Fury as the next opponent for IBF heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua for his fight on November 26, it’s not going to happen. Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn says that he’s far apart in the negotiations for what Fury wants and what he’s willing to give for a fight against Joshua on November 26.
Antonio Margarito will be back inside the ring this Saturday night on August 13 against Ramon Alvarez, the brother of Mexican star Saul Canelo Alvarez, at the Centro De Convenciones, in junior middleweight action in Tijuana, Mexico. Margarito (39-8, 27 KOs) is hoping to beat Alvarez and use the victory to get a bigger fight against the likes of Canelo.
Artur Beterbiev (11-0, 11 KOs) says he’s signed a contract to face Germany’s Enrico Koelling on July 29 in Quebec City, Canada. This will be an IBF light heavyweight eliminator bout with the winner becoming the mandatory challenger to IBF champion Andre Ward. Beterbiev, 32, says the venue and the date of the fight could change in the future. The two-time Russian Olympian Beterbiev is currently in the process of splitting with his promoter that he’s been with since he turned pro in 2013.
Beterbiev is ranked #2 by the International Boxing Federation and his opponent Koelling is ranked No.5. Koelling was the first contender in the IBF’s top 15 rankings that was willing to face Beterbiev in the IBF 175 pound eliminator fight after Sullivan Barrera pulled out of his fight with Beterbiev.
To many boxing fans, the Manny Pacquiao vs. Jessie Vargas fight is not much of a fight in terms of the potential big fights out there in the sport. The Pacquiao-Vargas fight, which will be taking place on November 5, hasn’t appeared to catch on with the fans.
Top Rank promoter Bob Arum is considering self-distributing the November 5th fight between his two fighters Manny Pacquiao and Jessie Vargas due to HBO choosing not to televise it for that date. HBO wants to televise the Pacquiao-Vargas fight on October 29, along with the Wladimir Klitschko vs. Tyson Fury fight.
Top Rank promoter Bob Arum is interested in moving several of his top fighters – Terence Crawford, Vasyl Lomachenko and Tim Bradley – to Showtime Boxing in order to get them fight dates. According to Arum, HBO doesn’t have the available budget to get fight dates for all of these guys.
Manny Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum still hasn’t given up on matching him against Australian fighter Jeff Horn IF the fight against Amir Khan fails to materialize. Arum said that if the deal for Pacquiao to fight Khan in the UAE gets done this weekend, then the fight will take place on April 22.
For boxing fans unclear whether to purchase the Manny Pacquiao vs. Jessie Vargas fight on Top Rank pay-per-view on November 5, the fight WILL NOT be shown on delay a week later on tape delay on non-pay-per-view like in the past when Pacquiao’s fights were televised on HBO.
Manny Pacquiao’s next opponent for his November 5th fight is still undecided, according to his promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank.
It looks like former eight division world champion Manny Pacquiao (58-6-2, 38 KOs) is going to be fighting one of his promoter Bob Arum’s fighters on November 5 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Manny Pacquiao is fighting WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas on November 5, not because of his World Boxing Organization title or for the money that he’ll be getting from the fight on pay-per-view.
Andre Berto sees Andre Ward (31-0, 15 KOs) potentially knocking out former light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev (30-1-1, 26 KOs) in their rematch this Saturday night. Berto says Ward has seen something from the first fight with Kovalev that he thinks he can expose to get a knockout. Ward isn’t known for being a knockout puncher, however.
Andre Ward (31-0, 15 KOs) is now in the hot seat with his close/controversial 12 round unanimous decision win over former IBF/WBA/WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev (30-1-1, 26 KOs) on November 19 last year Not only is Kovalev gunning for Ward’s titles in a badly wanted rematch, but also unbeaten #2 IBF Artur Beterbiev (11-0, 11 KOs), who will be facing the winner of the Ward-Kovalev 2 fight unless the winner chooses to vacate the IBF belt.
It’s looking more and more like WBO middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders could very well wind up on the undercard of the Saul Canelo Alvarez vs. Liam Smith fight on September 17 at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
Page 2 of 21