Middleweight contender Willie Monroe Jr. (21-2, 6 KOs) decided to chime in on his thoughts last night in who will come out on top in the Saul “Canelo” Alvarez vs. Gennady Golovkin fight if it gets made next year in September. Monroe has sparred with Canelo in the past, and he fought Golovkin last year in getting stopped in the 6th round.
Golden Boy Promotions flagship star Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs) might as well give up on the idea of hi being able to knockout IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs), because it WILL NOT be happening, says Golovkin’s longtime trainer Abel Sanchez. He just wants Canelo to know that ahead of time so he won’t waste too much time hoping he can be the first fighter to put a dent in Triple G’s chin when the two of them fight each other on September 16.
In a dramatic twist, the Mexican sensation, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (49-1-2) escapes with a Split Draw against Kazhakstan great Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (37-0-1) on Mexican Independence Day, September 16, 2017. Setting aside the talent and experience on both ends, Alvarez also had the advantages of fighting on the most important holiday of his home country, the great promise of money from the Mexican fanbase in the potential rematch, and judge Adelaide Byrd giving him the dubious scorecard of 118 to 110. The other two judges had more believable scorecards, albeit perhaps closer than the affair actually appeared. Dave Moretti scored the fight 115 to 113 for Golovkin, and Don Trella had it 114 to 114 even.
Former Gennady “GGG” Golovkin knockout victim, Willie Monroe Jr., is predicting that he’ll be stopped in the 9th round b Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs) in their fight on September 16. Monroe Jr. says he discovered a weakness in Triple G’s game in fighting him on the inside in their fight two years ago on May 16, 2015, and he believes that the 27-year-old Canelo will be able to take advantage of that by staying in close.
Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (48-1-1, 34 Kos) suffered a fractured right hand in his 9th round knockout win over WBO junior middleweight champion Liam Smith last Saturday night, and the injury will keep the Mexican star outside of the ring for the remainder of 2016.
HBO commentator Harold Lederman says he sees age starting to show in Gennady “GGG” Golovkin since his last fight against Danny Jacobs, and he’s not sure if he can beat Saul “Canelo” Alvarez on September 16. Lederman says the 35-year-old Triple G still must be viewed as the favorite to defeat Canelo Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs) simply by being the bigger, stronger and more experienced fighter of the two.
Last Saturday night, we got to witness a great fight between Gennady “GGG” Golovkin and Saul “Canelo.” Alvarez at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Where should we start? The scorecard, right? What can be said that hasn’t been said about it?
Next September 10 and 17 there are three bouts scheduled at three different venues, but from those three, two are correctly billed as world championship title fights and only one is really competitive.
Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (47-1-1, 33 KOs) and Liam Smith (23-0-1, 13 KOs) can feel proud that the two of them have produced over 40,000 ticket sales for their match this Saturday at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
Saul Canelo Alvarez is interested in facing Floyd Mayweather Jr. in a rematch if he gets by middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin this Saturday night at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Canelo lost to Mayweather by a 12 round majority decision on September 14, 2013. The scores were 116-112, 117-111 and 114-114. Canelo was only 23 at the time he lost the fight to Mayweather.
Saul “Canelo” Alvarez will never fight Gennady “GGG” Golovkin, according to Sergey Kovalev’s trainer John David Jackson. He doesn’t see Canelo’s promoters at Golden Boy Promotions ever letting Canelo take the fight against Golovkin for fear that if he loses to the Kazahstan fighter, it will cause him to stop bringing in money to Golden Boy.
Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and Gennady “GGG” Golovkin have history together with the two of them having sparred in the past in 2011 when Canelo was 20 and still learning. There were a number of flaws that Canelo showed during the sparing session that was noted by journalists. One of the flaws that were observed in Canelo’s game was his tendency not back off when he was hurt by Golovkin.
Saul “Canelo” Alvarez may not be ready to fight unbeaten IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin in a the ring, but one fighter that he does appear ready to face is MMA star Conor McGregor, albeit in a boxing match and not in his own sport.
Saul “Canelo” Alvarez isn’t ruling out a potential future fight against UFC star Conor McGregor if he beats Floyd Mayweather Jr. on August 26. However, Canelo doubts that McGregor will be able to pull off a “miracle” upset of the 40-year-old Mayweather in their fight on Showtime PPV at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Canelo probably smells opportunity knocking if he can get a crack at McGregor. There’s a lot of money to be made fighting the UFC star, and there’s very little threat.
Gennady “GGG” Golovkin’s promoter Tom Loeffler is looking to negotiate a rematch against Saul “Canelo” Alvarez for Cowboys Stadium rather than Las Vegas, Nevada. Loeffler likes the idea of staging the Canelo-GGG fight in front of a crowd of 100,000 boxing fans at Cowboys Stadium.
Saul Canelo Alvarez will have his Ring Magazine middleweight title up for grabs in his fight against middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin in 2 months from now on September 16. Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) will put up his IBF and WBA middleweight belts. Canelo doesn’t want any part in fighting for Golovkin’s WBC belt.
That belt will fall vacant should GGG lose to Canelo (49-1-1, 34 KOs. The winner of the Canelo-Triple G fight will be viewed as the best fighter in the 160 lb. division. Triple G’s WBC belt will become vacant if he loses to Canelo. It won’t go to Canelo, because he doesn’t want the belt.
It’s becoming apparent that the fans might not see the much hoped for mega-fight between Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and unbeaten middleweight star Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (36-0, 33 KOs) in 2017 as previously mentioned by Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya. If he’s really serious about wanting to get Golovkin for Canelo to fight in 2017, then he’ll offer him a 55-45 deal.
I write this article because of the endless articles and comments blasting Saul “Canelo” Alvarez for not making a fight against Gennady “GGG” Golovkin. Like any other boxing fan, I too would like to see this fight. However, by continuously writing or talking about Alvarez. And, engaging in debates about who is the better fighter, predicting who will win, etc., falls you and I into the Promoter’s trap.
It’s no secret that the boxing world wants to see Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and Gennady “GGG” Golovkin face each other in 2017. It’s a fight that is long overdue, and there’s no reason any longer for it not to take place. Golovkin and his promoters at K2 want the Canelo fight, because they don’t recognize it as growing bigger over time by letting it marinate longer. However, Golovkin and his team are not the ones that are making the decision when the fight will take place.
Mexican star Saul Canelo Alvarez’s fight against against WBO junior middleweight champion Liam Smith last month on September 17 brought in an attendance of 51,240 fans at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. It was thought to be the most ever paid fans in the history at the stadium for a boxing event. However, according to Dan Rafael, the Canelo-Smith fight is No.2 drawing fans in the AT&T Stadium behind the Manny Pacquiao vs. Joshua Clottey fight that took place in 2010.
Page 6 of 37